1. What are subdivision association comments?

Prior to application for a building permit, we suggest that you become familiar with your subdivision deeds, conditions and restrictions that may apply to your residential project, as these restrictions may be different than those covered under the Township Zoning Ordinance and state building codes. Your deed restrictions are privately regulated and enforced by your subdivision association, not the Township.

2. What are residential setback requirements?

In a R-1, R-2, and R-3 One-Family Residential District, a parcel requires 16'-0" side setbacks, 40'-0" front setback and a 35'-0" rear setback. A corner parcel with two street fronts is considered two front yards. Therefore, the two fronts are required to have 40'0" setbacks. A Planned Unit Development (PUD) and multi-family Residential Districts differ from the above setbacks. Other setback restrictions are available in the Township Zoning Ordinance.

3. What is considered an Accessory Structure?

Decks, swimming pools, fences, generators, air-conditioning units, and yard sheds, are all considered accessory structures.

4. What am I required to submit for a building permit for an Accessory Structure permit?

A completed building permit application, subdivision association comments, three sets of plot plans with the structure dimensioned on the plan, three sets of plans, applicable elevations, a dimensioned cross section with materials called out (if applicable), the date of Zoning Board of Appeals approval (if applicable).

5. What building codes does Bloomfield Township enforce for building compliance?

Presently, under State law, the Township is required to enforce the State Construction Codes for Building, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing and Barrier Free. The State of Michigan, Bureau of Construction Codes, can provide information of these codes at 517-241-9313.

6. I moved to the Township and would like to review the set of building plans used for the construction of my house and submitted to the Township for a building permit in the past. Does the Township Building Department have blueprints on file and available for review?

If a building permit was issued for new construction or alterations to a residence within the past 20 years, the Building Department may have blueprints available. Please call the Building Department in advance to request blueprints for review.

7. What can I do if my builder does not meet my expectations?

Avoid problems with a builder by checking if a residential builder is licensed with the State of Michigan. We recommend contacting the State of Michigan Consumer Industry and Services at 517-241-9347 or the Better Business Bureau at 248-644-9100 to check if there have been any previous complaints.

8. What do I need to know about utilities before I begin construction?

Before beginning construction, contact Miss Dig at 800-482-7171 to identify and mark the underground utilities. If it is necessary to install or modify electrical service, contact DTE Energy at 800-477-4747. Click here to view the DTE Planning Guide.

9. What is required to obtain a certificate of occupancy?

All permitted work must complete a final inspection before the issuance of a certificate of occupancy. The Certificate of Occupancy application is available on the Building Division forms page. No building or structure shall be occupied by or for any use for which a building permit is required until a certificate of occupancy has been issued.  For more information see forms page.