School Security OfficersJuvenile officers are detectives who have been assigned to cases which involve a juvenile either as a victim or as a suspect. Juvenile officers may handle cases that do not involve juveniles; however, juvenile cases are their primary responsibility. Juvenile officers handle cases at a local level whenever possible and appropriate, preferring this action over a court referral.

School Liaison Officers are juvenile officers who act as a liaison between the police department, the school district and the community. The school liaison program provides a valuable community resource by offering a wide range of services. Serving as a central source for law enforcement information, or providing a high degree of informal interaction between students and police, the program fosters better community relations. The school liaison officers present or assist with activities or programs like Safety Town, the Sixth Grade Program, Drug/Alcohol Prevention Programs, Parent Networking, and civic/law classes.


1. What is a juvenile? Is there an age limit?

By legal definition in the State of Michigan, a juvenile is someone who is not yet 17 years old.

2. What is curfew in Bloomfield Township?

Bloomfield Township follows the State Law regarding curfew. The law states that minors under the age of 12 shall not be out between 10:00 PM and 6:00 AM unless accompanied by a parent or guardian, or some adult delegated by the parent or guardian to accompany the child. Minors under the age of 16 shall not be out between 12:00 midnight and 6:00 AM unless accompanied by a parent or guardian, or an adult delegated by the parent or guardian, or where the minor is on some legitimate business directed by his parent or guardian.

3. How old does my child have to be to be left home alone?

There is no specific law that addresses this issue. This is a decision that is best left to the parents of the child. The decision should be based on the child's maturity level and ability to accept responsibility.

4. May I talk to an officer about a problem I'm having with my son/daughter?

Certainly. If it is a serious problem that you feel needs immediate attention you can call the main desk phone number of 248-433-7755 and speak to an officer about the problem. If you would prefer, you may call the Investigations Division at 248-433-7760 Monday through Friday between 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM and ask to speak to a School Liaison Officer or Youth Officer.

5. How do I place my child in Children's Village?

Children's Village, the juvenile detention facility for Oakland County, is not open to individual placement of local youths. Youths housed at the Village are held overnight on serious charges pending a court hearing in the morning or have been sentenced to that facility by Family Court. Detention is the last resort pursued in the juvenile justice system in Oakland County. Numerous intervention resources such as Bloomfield Youth Guidance at 248-341-5680 are usually utilized prior to any consideration of detention.

6. Can I move my 17 year old out of the house, and if so, am I still responsible for him/her?

Parents are required to provide support, lodging, food, etc. until their children reach 18 years of age. However, once they have reached the age of 17 that can be at a location other than the family home.

7. Why does the Bloomfield Township Police Department have School Liaison Officers only in the Bloomfield Hills School District and not Birmingham and the private schools?

Bloomfield Township's School Liaison Officers work with the Bloomfield Hills School District. Under a joint operating agreement and shared financing, the Birmingham Police Department and many others have School Liaison Officers that cover the schools in their district. Bloomfield Township provides limited youth services to Birmingham and private schools in Bloomfield Township.

8. Do you teach D.A.R.E.?

This department does not teach D.A.R.E. We have a similar program that is taught each year in 6th grade. This program is a drug/alcohol abuse prevention program which also covers many additional aspects of a Middle School student's life in society.

9. To what degree is substance abuse a problem in Bloomfield Township?

Bloomfield Township in many ways shares the same problems of everyday life with those in our surrounding communities, and those problems include substance abuse. To varying degrees substance abuse in a family affects not only that family's daily life and structure but how those individuals deal with the society around them. Due to this a majority of complaints that School Liaison Officers and Investigators deal with are in some way substance abuse related. This is evidenced by the involvement of the School Liaison Officers in many community organizations whose focus in part is substance abuse and its effects on the community.

To learn more about drug and substance abuse by visiting the Office of National Drug Control Policy website.