Census Response Rates June 2020
Over 90 million households have responded to the 2020 Census, with over 4 in 5 households doing so online. Michigan is third in the country for self-response, while Oakland County is ranked sixth in Michigan. This is great news, but we still have work to do in Bloomfield Township. Please respond to the Census!
OAKLAND COUNTY: 76.3%
Oakland County Response Rates June 29, 2020
Michigan Counts! Bloomfield Township Counts!
The U.S. Census counts every resident in the United States. The U.S. Constitution mandates that this occur every 10 years. The information the census collects provides state legislatures with population data necessary for legislative redistricting. It also helps determine how federal funding is distributed to states and communities each year, according to the Census Bureau.
It is vital that all residents of Bloomfield Township - adults, children, babies, citizens and non-citizens, homeowners and renters - be counted. In Michigan, more than $675 billion in federal funds, grants, and support to state, counties and communities are based on census data. That translates to $30 billion for Michigan or $1,800 per person per year. That money is spent on schools, hospitals, roads, emergency services, infrastructure and other vital programs. Businesses use Census data to decide where to build factories, offices, and stores which create jobs. Real estate developers use the Census to build new homes and revitalize old neighborhoods.
On or between March 12-20, 2020, every household will receive an invitation to respond online to the 2020 Census. Some households will also receive paper questionnaires. Reminders will be sent out to households that have not responded later in March and in April. Those who have not responded by late April will be contacted in person by a Census representative.
Why is it important to be counted?
Bloomfield Township's participation rate compared to other communities
THE U.S. CENSUS BUREAU WANTS YOU TO REGISTER!
Make sure that you, your friends and family are included in this once-a-decade count.
- The 2020 Census includes just nine questions, including name, age, gender, ethnicity, race, number of people in the household, anyone else staying in the house on April 1, 2020, if you own or rent your home and your phone number. This is less information than you would provide for a credit card application!
- Filling out the 2020 Census is more convenient than ever, and the form can be completed by mail, phone and online. All information shared on the census is 100% confidential and helps determine federal funding for health care, education, senior programs and other programs Michiganders rely on every day. An accurate census count also shapes Michigan’s representation in Congress.
- Census is fast, easy and only takes about 10 minutes, but it will impact our community for the next ten years, especially in the areas of health care, food and emergency services—all the things that are so critical in this crisis.
- Spread the CENSUS word! Participation in the census has never been easier. Go online or call the toll-free number 844-330-2020 or use the paper form.
- Your personal information is protected by federal law. On the Census form you must use the address where you actually live, even if it’s different than the one on your license. Now more than ever, if you live in Michigan Be Counted in Michigan! We need YOU!
- Three C’s: Convenient, Confidential and Critical. Responding to the census is convenient and people can respond by mail, phone or online; the census is 100% confidential and secure and your information will not be shared with anyone; we want to make sure everyone is counted because it’s critical to the future success of Michigan.
- We all have a part to play in protecting our communities and building a stronger future together. You can start by filling out the 2020 Census online, by phone, or by mail.
COVID-19 and the 2020 Census
Census 2020 is still hiring workers. To apply, visit the Census 2020 website.
For more information about Census 2020 click here.