Collection begins the week in which March 15th falls and runs through the 2nd week of December.
Bloomfield Township has received word that yard waste pickup will continue. GFL has realigned their current staff, moving commercial drivers to residential, getting additional employees back from quarantine and bringing in volunteer staff from the Flint area to resume the collection of yard waste within Bloomfield Township beginning Tuesday, April 14. The process will begin by starting in Monday’s section on Tuesday morning and moving into Tuesday’s section by Tuesday afternoon, completing Tuesday by the evening. The rest of the week should not be an issue. GFL apologizes for any inconvenience and will do their best to continue all services during this pandemic.
During the Yard Waste season, GFL Environmental will collect all properly prepared yard waste on your regular trash service day. We encourage you to use large, brown paper yard waste bags which are available at your local hardware store. Or, you may call the Township at 248-594-2800 or GFL Environmental at 844-464-3587 to get a "Compost" sticker to put on your 32 gallon can. Use of plastic bags is prohibited as is the mixing of yard waste with your regular trash.
During yard waste season, remember these rules:
- Containers must be the paper yard waste bags (available at local lawn, garden and hardware stores) OR in 32 gallon cans clearly marked "Yard Waste" or "Compost" (stickers are available at the Township office). During colder weather, yard waste bags are preferred as compost may freeze in cans.
- All containers (yard waste AND regular trash containers) must not exceed the 60 pound weight limit.
- Yard waste collected in plastic bags is prohibited and will not be collected.
Acceptable yard waste is considered to be grass clippings and garden weeds, leaves, and trimmings.
- Brush (2" in diameter or less) may be considered yard waste and packaged in either of the above-mentioned ways.
- Trimmings / Branches between 2" - 6" in diameter will be collected with the garbage (solid waste) provided they are bundled and tied. Bundles should be 4 feet maximum in length and a maximum of 60 pounds each.
- If you have trimmings larger than 6" in diameter, contact either GFL Environmental at 844-464-3587 or a private tree service contractor.
Please call GFL Environmental at 844-464-3587 for more information.
Yard Waste Collection FAQ
1. Why can we no longer use plastic bags?
In 1995, when the State of Michigan mandated a ban on landfills of yard waste, the industry began efforts to process the waste into a usable compost material. Yard waste contaminated by plastic bags decreases the quality of the compost, making it unsuitable for home and garden use. Most communities have stopped accepting plastic bags. Bloomfield Township must also do its part to protect our environment.
2. What are the best alternatives for environmental purposes?
The best alternative is to use a mulching lawnmower. Mulching mowers mulch grass and leaves into fine particles that decompose on your lawn. This process does not create thatch. Mulching mowers (and conversion kits for older lawnmowers) are available at local lawn equipment suppliers. Kraft paper yard bags are also a responsible solution. The paper will decompose along with the mulch. Bags are available at local hardware stores, garden shops and home supply stores.