Transportation to the Bloomfield Township Senior Center
Bloomfield Township Senior Services offers residents limited transportation to the Senior Center for participation in fitness and social activities and for planned trips.
The transport vehicle is a 14 passenger van. Participants will need to have the ability to go up and down a small flight of steps on the vehicle. Wheelchair transport may be available on a limited basis upon request. Any special needs arrangements should be requested when you call for an appointment. Requests can be made up to 30 days in advance but no fewer than 5 business days in advance of the ride. Requests will be accepted 8 AM to 4:00 PM Monday through Friday and will be honored in a first requested, first served manner.
It is advised that you are ready to leave your home at least 15 minutes prior to your scheduled pick up time. Also be aware that the driver may arrive up to 15 minutes past your scheduled time. Driving conditions, traffic, and many other factors make it impossible to pinpoint exact times for arrival and departure. We will make every effort to have you at the Senior Center on or before your scheduled event. Wait time may be incurred after your event as the bus may need to wait for other scheduled passengers. Please make yourself comfortable in the cafe area while you wait. You may want to bring a small snack, use the vending machine or enjoy complimentary coffee and tea.
For information please call our Outreach Coordinator, Denise Kolkmeyer at 248-723-3500.
Transportation to Bloomfield Township Senior Services Policies and Procedures
- A BTSS Transportation Application with proof of residency (driver license, voter registration or copy of paid tax invoice) must be completed prior to scheduling any transportation.
- Bloomfield Township residents 60+ who have a medical condition or illness that makes driving unsafe or impossible and who have no other driver available qualify for the service. Residents 50+ with a documented disability also qualify.
- Transportation service to the Center will be available 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM Monday - Friday.
- Transportation to BTSS must be scheduled a minimum of 5 business days prior to appointment(s). Please use the BTSS quarterly Newsletter or the BTSS website to make plans in advance for fitness classes, trips, social events at the Center.
- Once requests are approved, you will be called with confirmation and you may then complete your registration for your class or event.
- Please allow up to 60 minutes prior to start of your event for a scheduled pick up time. Please be ready 15 minutes before your scheduled pick up time.
- Please make cancellations as soon as possible or no less than 2 hours in advance of pick up. Frequent cancellations that negatively impact service to others may reduce eligibility.
- Transportation requests are not guaranteed but are based on availability of drivers and vehicles. Requests will be handled on a first in, first served basis.
- SMART Transit is also available to Bloomfield Township residents by calling toll free: 866-962-5515.
Please call 248-723-3500 with any questions or to request an application.
SMART Community Transit
Small SMART bus service is available from your home in Bloomfield Township to many destinations. Call 866-962-5515 for information or to schedule a ride.
Medical Transportation Services
Medical Transportation is available to 60+ senior residents of Bloomfield Hills (limited availability) and Bloomfield Township through SMART funding. Application for program required. There is a 45% co-pay charged monthly to eligible users. If the shared co-pay cost presents financial hardship, please inquire about application for co-pay waiver.
Volunteer drivers provide transportation for Bloomfield Township residents to local medical appointments. Subject to availability with a minimum of 10 business days notice.
Grocery Shopping Trips
Volunteers are available to aid 60+, non-driving Bloomfield Township residents who need assistance with grocery shopping & errands. There is a maximum of 2 hours bi-monthly and flexibility between client and driver. Subject to availability with a minimum of 10 business days notice.
Please call Denise Kolkmeyer, Outreach Coordinator, at 248-723-3500 for more information.
1. When is service available for medical appointments?
Medical transportation service through BTSS is available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM. Excluding national holidays.
2. How soon do I need to call for an appointment?
To request transportation rides to medical appointments, and you have an application on file, please call a minimum of 5 days prior to medical appointment date.
3. Are there any limitations in using medical transportation?
Medical transportation is limited to those who have a medical condition or illness that makes driving unsafe or impossible and no other driver is available to assist.
4. How do I find out more information and get an application?
Please call Denise Kolkmeyer at 248-723-3500 for more information and an application or send an Email. Please call Monday - Friday from 12:30 PM - 4:00 PM.