1. What is a sewer only meter?
At the option and expense of a property owner, sewer only customers have the option to install a meter for purpose of measuring water from their private well water supply and being charged a sewer rate based upon actual water usage instead of a flat rate charge.
2. How will a sewer only customer benefit?
The customer will be charged for sewer based on their water usage the same as customers who are connected to both water and sewer instead of paying a flat quarterly rate.
3. What does the meter cost?
The Water & Sewer Division will not be responsible for determining the size of the meter.
3/4 " meter $320
1" meter $410
4. Are there other costs?
The installation of a sewer only meter will require plumbing changes within the home. The costs for these plumbing changes will vary depending upon the complexity of the existing plumbing in each home. A licensed plumber should do this work.
5. Is a permit required?
All plumbing changes and meter installations must be incompliance with the State Plumbing Code. A Plumbing Permit will be required from the Township's Building Division. All work must be inspected and approved by the Plumbing Inspector before use of the sewer only meter.
6. How does a customer purchase a secondary meter?
A sewer only meter can be purchased in the Water & Sewer Division located in the Public Services building on Exeter. Click here for a map. For more information please call 248-594-2800.
Steps for Installing a Well Water Meter
- Prior to purchase the owner or plumber will need to know the existing water service size to determine the size for the new water meter. This is best discussed with whoever will be doing the work. The Water Division will not be responsible for determining the size.
- The contractor doing the work (or the homeowner) must obtain a plumbing permit. Contact the Building Department at 248-433-7715 for permit application and fees. The meter can be paid for and picked up from the Water Division after the Plumbing Permit has been issued for the meter.
- Pay for the meter in the Water Division. This can be done after or at the same time as applying for the plumbing permit. The following are the meter charges:
- ¾” meter $320
- 1” meter $410
- Have the meter installed and plumbing changes made according to the diagram provided. This must be done within 30 days of purchase.
- After the meter is set, the contractor (or homeowner) must call for an inspection in the Building Department at 248-594-2818. You must have the permit number to schedule an inspection.
- Once inspection is approved, the Water Department must have access to install the remote reading device. Appointments should be scheduled within 24 hours of inspection approval at 248-594-2800.
- A new billing account will be set up for reading the water meter and billed for sewer only charges on the metered water use.
Click here to view a schematic diagram for installation.