our Forms page for
Before beginning your home improvement or construction
project, contact the Building Division at 248.433.7715 for
information concerning permits. Permits are required for many
types of jobs, including, but not limited to, the following:
- New residential & commercial building construction
- Additions, alterations or modifications to existing
- Air conditioning units
- Pool equipment
- Play structures
- Satellite dishes or communications towers
- Retaining and screening walls
- Chimney repair
- Siding and gutter replacement
- Window & door replacement
- Driveway gates
- Residential & commercial demolition
- All indoor and outdoor electrical work requires an
- All indoor plumbing, water services, sanitary sewer
services, storm sewer services, sprinkling systems and
sump-pump installations require a plumbing permit
- Any work relating to heating, cooling and ventilation
systems require a mechanical permit.
- Generally, construction plans and other documentation
are necessary for review approval prior to the issuance of a
- Applications for permits may also require approvals from
Subdivision or Homeowners Associations prior to issuance.
- Some permits may require approvals such as a variance
from the Board of Appeals, or from other Oakland County
agencies for soil erosion control, septic fields, well, and
driveway culverts. The applicant is responsible for
obtaining these approvals.
- Soil erosion measures and construction drives must be
installed and inspected prior to permit issuance.
FAQs About Permits
1. When must I apply for a Building permit?
New residential and commercial construction, demolition,
accessory structures, any interior renovations which involve
the removal/addition of walls, gypsum board, kitchen remodel,
and any construction to structures greater than a $50 value
require a building permit.
2. The building department requires three (3) sets of
plans for new residential construction, additions, and
renovations. What constitutes of a set of plans?
Residential building plans with livable square feet of
3,500 square feet or greater are required by the State of
Michigan to be signed and sealed by a state licensed Engineer
or Architect. Building plans should be dimensioned and include
- surveyed plot plan
- foundation plan
- floor plans
- a dimensioned cross section calling out materials and
One set of submitted building plans are required to have
subdivision association approval (if applicable) before a
building permit is issued. All commercial building plans must
be sealed and signed by a State licensed Engineer or
3. What time frame should I allow for a building permit
to be issued?
Please allow up to two weeks for a review of the submitted
building plans. If revisions are requested for further review,
the revisions will be reviewed in the order they are received.
Commercial plans need to be reviewed by all the trades and the
Fire Marshal; therefore please allow for an additional two
4. As a homeowner, may I apply for a building permit?
Yes, however the permit holder is responsible for the work
to be constructed in compliance to the codes and a Homeowners
Affidavit must be signed. If a state of Michigan licensed
builder is hired by the homeowner, then we recommend the
permit be issued to the licensed builder.
5. Can I start work without a permit being issued?
Starting work without a permit is a violation of the State
Construction Code and Township Ordinance.
6. I want to replace my driveway. Will I need a building
Slab work, for driveways, walkways and patios on grade do
not require a building permit.
7. What type of fees should I anticipate with a building
An application fee, a plan review fee, a registration fee
for licensed contractors, permit fees and re-inspection fees.
A fee schedule is available upon request at the Building
Department or by
8. Do I need to apply for a permit in person?
Applications are accepted by mail, however, all licensed
contractors and builders need to provide photo identification
such as driver's license and current Residential Builder's
Board State license upon registration with the Building
Home | Government
| Services |
Current Events |
Contact Us |
E-mail List |
Site Map |
Site Use Policy
Township of Bloomfield
4200 Telegraph Road
P.O. Box 489
Bloomfield Township, MI 48303-0489
All information © 2013
Bloomfield Township, Michigan
Having trouble with Adobe? Click here.